Since today is Thanksgiving, this is a post of being grateful. Of course, I am very thankful for a roof over my head, clean and always available food and water, electricity, my education, my bed, and my iPhone. But this week, I’m going to thank everyone who’s helped me so far in my SCD and Crohn’s disease journey (or almost everyone). So, without further ado, let the appreciation begin:
Thank you to my aunt Sue Ellen, who hugs me and sent me a card and honey from a special farm up in New York, and who is baking me a completely SCD legal pumpkin pie tonight, which I’m planning to eat at least half of!
Thank you to my sister, Nina, who always cheers me up with memes and weird youtube videos whenever I’m feeling down.
Thank you to my gastroenterologist, Dr. Enav, for encouraging me to start this diet and putting me on the path to being 5’4” one day!
Thank you to Marnina Cowan, my dance teacher, who I’m going to walk with today and who I love texting with and relating to. Thank you so much for making the pizza, and featuring me on your blog!
Thank you to all of my friends, who make an effort to include me, ask questions, and support me. To name a few specifically:
- Eve, for making me special dressing and the weirdest smoothie when I was over at your house, and for being possibly more excited than I was when I got my lab results back.
- Shira, Gayle and Zoe, for having me over for Shabbat dinner and making sure there was something for me to eat, and for asking questions and being very curious and supporting each other on each of our IBD journeys, and for reading my blog from the day of my first post :).
- Samantha, for helping me feel included on Halloween by having the genius idea of giving me dried fruit and honey sticks to eat.
- Rebecca and Sharon, for giving me honey sticks from Florida, and for always having some snacks or even a meal that I can enjoy alongside you.
- Addy, a new friend who is also on the SCD, and who I have to text with and really want to meet in person one day!
Of course, these were just a couple of friends who have supported me and made feel happy.
Thank you to the SCD Families Facebook group, who I’ve never talked to personally since I don’t have Facebook, but have been a huge help when my mom and I aren’t sure whether or not a food is allowed on the diet.
And of course, last but definitely not least, a huge thank you to my mother. Even though we get on each other’s nerves sometimes, I am so grateful for everything you have done to help me, even before my diagnosis. Thank you for staying up until 3:00am making me yogurt, and finding Paleo turkey bacon that I can have, and trying new recipes every day (right now she is making cranberry sauce, it’s on the stove!), and improvising, and making me feel better, and researching the SCD, and talking to other parents, and cheering me on, and understanding, and making me laugh, and listening to me complain, and for everything else you do that I think I pretty much take for granted.
I’m also grateful that I have so much to be grateful for. I’m glad to be living and thriving with Crohn’s!
P.S.: The picture on top is of the cranberry sauce that my mom is making right now.